Tuesday, December 30, 2014

WOW... 2014 SUCKED (kinda)!

Watching TV today a Psychologist was discussing the emotional impact the holidays can have on some people.  He suggested people should take inventory of the past years positive events and experiences and reflect on them.  His theory was the list would provide a springboard for how you approach 2015 and in doing so you would feel good about yourself.  Ok...maybe I can buy that but if your gonna inventory the good things shouldn't you inventory the bad shit? And with some people wouldn't the bad shit offset the good shit and result in even more depression?  I could debate this further but I am not a Physiologist just a GOBRT..."Good Ole Boy with Redneck Tendencies" however I did like the idea of making a list of the good shit!  So despite Lawyers, Judges, Courtrooms, a bad wreck, rib disqualification in Cookeville, & other life changing bad mojo there have been some incredible events, experiences, & PEOPLE in my life this past year!  Here's my list....



Music has always been an important part of my life. I began playing trumpet in 3rd grade & guitar in 4th. My favorite instrument to play is the stereo/radio but nothing can compare to LIVE MUSIC! Here are a few artist & bands I had the pleasure of seeing & hearing (in no particular order)  Sturgill Simpson, Blackberry Smoke, Holly Williams, Byron Hill, Wil Nance, Roxie Dean, Will Hogue, Billy Joe Shaver, Jason Isbell, Lucinda Williams, Shawn Mullins, Chuck Cannon, Emmylou Harris, Jamey Johnson, Ricky Scaggs, Jeff Hanna, Martraca Berg, Keith Anderson, Kaycey Smith, John England & The Western Swingers, Larry Hamilton & The Palace Band, 50 Shades of Hay, Eileen Rose & Silver Threads, Wendy Newcomer, 2Country4Nashville, Pork McElhinny, David Petersen, Skipper Grace, Drake White & The Big Fire, Clare Dunn, Brian Collins, Donica Knight, Todd Snider, Buddy Miller, Robert Ellis, Chas Sandford & a few others that I am sure I missed.

Next are some things I did, attended, or visited starting with competing in 4 BBQ contests (Winchester, Lewisburg, Cookeville, & Mt. Pleasant) of which the Tony Stone Cookeville contest is my favorite, Studio A catering event, the KCBS Banquet in Nashville, spending time in the "Holler" in Kentucky, the Watertown Yard Sale, Jeff & Luann's Birthday/Anniversary party,  Brandt & Mandy Snedeker Catering event, The Jack, spending weekends poolside at Hooperville, assisting Donny Bray at WCPC BBQ Classes, lightening of the Jack Daniels Barrel Christmas Tree, July 4th Party at Hooperville, weekends in Mullberry, Jack week at the Butt-Ranch, and Orange Beach Vacation! I am sure I am leaving out something but my memory is fading as I finish a bottle of Winter-Jack! 






Contrary to what Facebook says you can never have enough friends! So I made some new ones in 2014. Colleen Martin, Rodney Crowell, Angie Leathers, Andy Williams, Mayco & Marianne Van Galen, Phil Wingo, Donette & John Van Cleve, The Meat Sweats, Flaming Pig BBQ, Chip Chapman, Melissa Pyne, Bob Williams, Andy Sawran, Edz wings, De Filous, Dale Watson, Braai-B-Que, Damon & Michelle Austin, Todd Sessa, Chef Sara, Mike Wolf, Johnny Love, Rick Morris, all entered my life in 2014. I also re-connected with Joe Beckham, Leroy Groves, Patricia Rhodes, & Dan Watson. Thank you for allowing me into you "Circle of Friends" & I am so thankful that you are in mine. Please forgive me as I am sure I have left many off this list. Winter Jack is now down to 1/4th.  




 I could not have gotten through 2014 with the help of several special people in my life.  Lee McWright, Jeff & Luann Edwards, Misty Tinch, Richard & the entire Finley family, Joe Luffman, Jeff McPherson, Buck, Lou, Phyllis, Christy & David Baker, Jan & Randy Minchey, Tonya Alexander, Donny & the entire Bray family, Byron Chism, Darryl Sage, Penny & Chip Hooper, & Lu Ann & Mark Walker. You have all been there for me to lean on, give an encouraging word, a listening ear, & a soft place to land. I can't thank you enough.  You make my life better & I am so thankful for each of you.  2014 would not be possible without the support of my family.  I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for them.  My brothers Shane and Tim are always there when I need them. I am so proud of them!  My "Silver Lining" in 2014 is the time that I have gotten to spend with "Momma DoRag"!  She is my ROCK.  I can always count on her to cheer me up no matter what.  She is the most caring, giving, & loving person you could ever meet.  We have had fun cookin, eating, exploring, laughing, crying, arguing, & makin the best of 2014.

 As I sit here finishing the last drop of Winter Jack I guess the Psychologist "list idea" worked for me.  I did have a really great 2014 after all & I am so excited to see what 2015 has in store for me.  Guess I will have to make a list as I go!  Hope I am on your list! Hopefully not your shit-list!


Have a safe & Happy New Year!

No comments: